MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Advice Needed On Upcoming Short Trip

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainNapalm

CaptainNapalm

Adv Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

Hi everyone,

We got our latest addition only a week ago, a two month old quaker and have him all set up and feeling comfortable at home already.  He has his own spacious cage with lots of toys and perches and he seems to have blended into our lives much easier than our previous quaker.  We will be going away tomorrow for two days and can't decide if it would be better to take him with us or leave him at home.  We will be leaving around 11am tomorrow (Sunday) so I will still be able to spend three hours in the morning with him and we will be back on Tuesday at around lunch time or early afternoon.  

Basically if left at home, he would be alone for half a day Sunday, full day Monday, and half a day Tuesday.  No one would be able to come into our house so we'd have to leave him lots of food and multiple water dishes just to be safe.  If we would take him with us, he would be in the car with us driving one way about 2 hours, be in a small cage with one perch and 1-2 toys for two days, but on the bright side we'd be able to hang out with him a few hours a day during our trip and give him some out of cage time daily.  

I just can't decide if taking him with us would put more stress on him than leaving him in peace for two days where he seemingly feels comfortable.  Given that he's still a young quaker and still getting used being home with us, do you guys think we should pack him up and take him with us or leave him home for two days.  We want to make our decision solely on the best interest for the bird's well being.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

Personally, I wouldn't leave a new parrot alone for as long as you'd be away, so my choice would be to take your new Quaker with you. I think the trip would be less stressful for him than spending all that time alone, wondering if he's been abandoned.

#3 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

A bit late, but I agree.  I would take him along.

#4 CaptainNapalm

CaptainNapalm

Adv Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Thanks guys for your replies.  Indeed we have him with us.  Although he's a bit grumpy about his small cage he is generally taking the short vacation well so far.

#5 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

That's great! :)