MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Spoiled Rotten Babies

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

When I'm off work, I'd like to sleep in a little. Of course, parrots don't sleep in. They want uncovered and they want let out and they want it NOW. This morning I managed to pretend I couldn't hear them for a while and when I did go to their room, I told them that SOME birds have to spend a lot of time in their cages and only get to come out a few hours a day. They were unmoved and continued to squawk at me and Jade even did her grumbling thing and yelled "What IS the POINT????" Clyde has even learned to say that now. Of course, I let them out and the tiels did laps and Benjy bit my thumb. Divas, every last one of them.

The good news -- maybe -- is that last night all three tiels were hanging out together on the hanging lamp, sitting in a row. It would be nice if the boys would play with Greta, but on the other hand, I don't want them to decide to help her with her eggs project and for her to lay fertile ones!

• Bene_Gesserit and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#2 Fig

Fig

Adv Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

Oh, man....that is so funny!  "What is the POINT?"  I'd die.  Doing laps....laugh.png   that's Rascal, my 17 year old 'tiel. Joy, his wife, stays in the cage unless I bring her out.  She was cage bound when I got her...her original owner didn't pay much attention to her.

Yup....they want up and out in the morning!!!

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#3 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

I can't imagine who might have given them the idea they were all darling little divas!

It must have been your husband.tongue.png

My birds will occasionally let me sleep an extra 15 minutes, but as soon as I walk into the kitchen and hit the button on the coffee pot, my next stop BETTER be the nutraberry bag to pass out the morning nummies, or I will NOT be given a minutes peace.

1. Wake up

2. Let the dogs out.

3. Hit the button on the coffee pot.

4. Pass out num nums to all birds.

5. Turn the lights on the fish tank and feed the fish.

6. Let the dogs in.

7. Change bird water.

8. Pass out doggie treats.

9. Sit down on the sofa with the dogs, coffee and the newspaper.

On a good day, all this can be done in 15 minutes. laugh.png

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

We did have a momentous event today. I didn't get around to bird baths yesterday so I asked them if they wanted baths today and they most definitely did, and Clyde not only let me mist him, he insisted on it. He's NEVER done that. He always got militant when I tried. He likes his baths on his schedule and usually takes one in the ceramic baking dish I leave on top of Maggie's cage for a communal water dish/bathtub. Everybody got misted today.

#5 Oteyspeople

Oteyspeople

Adv Member

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

I'm usually up just before dawn, so I try to sneak out of the bedroom to get cracking on morning chores. Lovey will hear & respond to the outside birds waking up. I can usually get away with quietly telling her it's still time for night-night. All our birds are covered with thick beach towels at night, & because Hubby works late, we have room darkening shades in the bedroom.

*My* day starts with letting the dogs out & refilling their food & water dishes. Next, I carry up some feed & bread to the barn so I can let the hens out of their coop. Then back down to the lower yard to gather a bucket of fresh greens for the rabbits. A quick intermission to feed the goldfish in our rain barrels, then on to uncovering the rabbits & giving them their morning yummies, refilling feed containers & topping off water bottles. I repeat the same bunny routine inside the house with the rabbit & guinea pig I'm critter sitting.

Finally, I nuke a mug of water for some tea while I go uncover the fids--who are now squawking up a storm. If I'm not fast enough, I get the quaker cussing from Otey & especially Lovey. Dump the old feed & pour the new. Make sure they SEE me dump the old feed & pour the new. Go cut a chunk of the requested banana for Aldo while my tea is steeping. Cut the crusts off my buttered toast & make sure to include a little bit of marmalade. Back into the bedroom where the crusts are offered to the masters, & I finally get to sit down with my cuppa. Unless the crusts aren't acceptable & runny egg or oatmeal is preferred.

30 minutes if I'm lucky. Good thing Hubby is a very sound sleeper.

• LindeeV likes this

#6 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

Wow, that's a lot of critters.....a lot of SPOILED critters... tongue.png

How do you know if they want runny egg or oatmeal instead of the buttered crusts with a smudge of marmalade? Do they  tell you, or do you just have to intuit?

Mine just expect to be offered a bit of whatever I'm eating, and then they decide if it is an acceptable offering, or unacceptable. If it's unacceptable, it hits the floor for the dogs to snuffle up.

#7 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

I made a grievous error this morning. In the interests of efficiency, I uncovered cages in the proper order, but I keep their covers in the cabinet that Greta's cage sits on and I uncovered her last as usual. Since I was standing there already, I opened cages starting with hers. Clyde was NOT happy. Everyone popped out immediately upon their door opening and Jade wanted her morning "kiss" and I held out my hand for Clyde to step up as he ALWAYS insists on doing, and he ... turned his back to me. GASP. 

• Bene_Gesserit likes this

#8 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

This is not good. You have disrespected Clyde in a Big Way. You will have to spend extra one on one time with him until he feels you are suitably chagrined and are now clear on who the Head Bird in Charge is.....

I predict a chomp and a Quaker Cussing are in your future! ohmy.png

#9 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

Yes, I suspect I am in extra deep doo-doo. He might even refuse to preen my eyebrows tonight and he has been stuck on that task for weeks now. I must have the World's Most Appalling Eyebrows for it to take so much work for him to be satisfied with their condition.