MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Fruit & Veg

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris & Obee

Chris & Obee

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

Hi my name is Chris I recently purchased my Blue Quaker about a week ago his name is Obee i was wondering how i introduce him to fruit and veg he diesnt seem interested

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

Welcome to you and Obee! smile.png

The first rule of introducing new foods to a QP is "be persistent." Keep offering the same foods, over and over, and be ready to waste some food. It takes time for a parrot to recognize that the stuff you're giving him is actually something to eat. You might try eating some in front of Obee and when you do, act like it's the most delicious thing you've ever tasted. Parrots like to share what their human companions are eating.

Try preparing vegetables in different ways too. Most can be offered either raw or cooked. Try some that are in bigger pieces, and some that are finely chopped or mashed. My QP Ralph loves fresh green peas, but they have to be sliced in half. Parrots are often fussy that way.  Ralph isn't crazy about most fruits, but will eat some. He likes apple, but that has to be chopped into tiny pieces. Experiment a little with the things  you want Obee to eat, and eventually, you'll find some that he likes.

#3 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

Welcome Chris and Obee!

I have discovered that Quakers are much like toddlers when it comes to their diet! Our Ocho will take a spell to accept something new, and then get picky about when and how much he likes it!
Enjoy!

#4 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

I still haven't gotten Mr P to eat most veggies so I bought a little veggie chopper. I chop them up until they are almost mush and mix them in with cornbread. Mr P LOVES cornbread and most bread like products. There are some good recipes if you google birdie cornbread or birdie bread

I also add stage 1 baby food, both fruit and veggies. After it's baked, I cut it up into squares, leave one square out and freeze the rest. Then I take it out a square at a time.

I would prefer that Mr P just ate the veggies like a "normal" bird but he wont and it is REALLY important they get veggies in their diet.

Mr P likes most fruit, so that isnt a problem.

Like everyone said, keep trying!!!! Then, if that still doesnt work, get creative :)

#5 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

My birds love frozen mixed vegetables, straight out of the bag. They like them best when they're still frozen hard. They pick out all the corn and eat it first, then the green peas, and occasionally will peck at the carrots. They toss the green beans straight to the floor, because everyone knows green beans are not real food. tongue.png

They have a love/hate relationship with fruit. They will eat blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, cantalope, and chopped apple, but anytime I get excited and buy lots of fruit for them, they stop eating it until the fruit goes bad. angry.png

#6 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

Welcome!  One of Casey's favourite treats are the seeds inside a red pepper, she also loves the seeds on the outside of a strawberry :)  Just keep experimenting and offering things over and over soon you will find something that Obee likes :)  She will share most of the cooked veggies we have for dinner too, she just gets a small plate with tiny portions on top of her cage, she always eats her broccoli and sweet potato even more so if it is served with salmon or chicken :) 

#7 Goldielocks03

Goldielocks03

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

Cause is 10 and love banana,corn on the cob and peaches.