MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Need Advice For Re Homed Sun Conure And Quaker Parrot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Extracrazyblonde

Extracrazyblonde

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

Not sure how to get them to trust me instead of bite me, I hand feed them fruits and veggies but everytime I go near the cage they try to attack me. It makes me sad because I want to be able to handle them :(

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Personally, i would begin with separate cages. Right now they don't need you except for food and water. In separate cages, they could still have play time together when they're out of the cages and could still squawk and talk back and forth, but would be more dependent on you than they are now. How long have you had them? It takes parrots weeks to adjust to a change like this and it might take longer if their last home wasn't a good one. Do you know what their previous home was like? Were they handled there? Was it chaotic? Had they been in that home a long time and maybe they're homesick?

#3 Extracrazyblonde

Extracrazyblonde

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

I was thinking about seperating them but it wasn't sure if it would b good for them. I have not had them a full week yet, I dont know much about thier original home only that the ladys husband passed and they were his birds and she didnt want to care for them anymore, so my uncle took them and they were isolated to a room and it was very loud and chaiotic. They were there for about 2 maybe 3 months. I do not know if they have ever been handled

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

Then you should proceed as if they're basically wild. If they'll take food from your hand, that's a good sign. Give them a week or two to adjust to your home and you and the sounds and sights there. Then get a second cage and separate them. Make sure the two are close enough that they can see and hear each other, and give them plenty of play time together outside the cages. But that will allow you to work with each separately while leaving the other in his/her cage and start building a bond. While you're letting them adjust, spend a lot of time just talking to them or singing to them or being visible and nearby.