MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New Member, New Baby!

quaker baby handfeeding advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Crystal Bearrington

Crystal Bearrington

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

Hi, I'm so excited to have found this forum dedicated to Quakers! I just bought a baby Quaker, today. My husband owns an Indian Ringneck, my kids have budgies and my mom had a scarlet Macaw when I was growing up. I've owned and hand fed cockatiels, but the Quaker is new to me. Doing my research, quakers just seemed to be the most pleasant, loving of the small/medium breeds.
My question is, the breeder I got her from ( not sure what I'm naming him/her yet) said she was Approximately a mo an a half old, I'm not sure exactly. I do have some experience with handfeeding, but not a Quaker. She's pecking, but she still needs handfed. How often would you feed her?
Yes, we have access to an avian vet and Yes, I will take her, no hesitation, at the first signs of a problem. But, its the weekend, I'd like to hold off and make an appointment on Monday if possible.
thanks!!!
  • Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

Welcome! smile.png I have no handfeeding experience nor any specific advice, but you may find something helpful here on the companion site: http://www.quakerpar...om/handfeeding/

#3 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

Welcome to the forum Crystal. :) I hope things are going well with your little one. Can we see pics? And of course we want to hear the name you choose.
  • Bene_Gesserit likes this

#4 Crystal Bearrington

Crystal Bearrington

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Sorry it's taken so long to get back, my little guy keeps me so busy! Of course I'm unsure of the sex so... I originally named him Ozzie but, this bird Quacks! So, it quickly became Duckie. I'd love to post pics but I'm unsure how, so far. I have them on my fb. Cnyguy, thanks for the link! I'm really excited to find a forum devoted to my new obsession!

#5 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

Sorry it's taken so long to get back, my little guy keeps me so busy! Of course I'm unsure of the sex so... I originally named him Ozzie but, this bird Quacks! So, it quickly became Duckie. I'd love to post pics but I'm unsure how, so far. I have them on my fb. Cnyguy, thanks for the link! I'm really excited to find a forum devoted to my new obsession!

I call Happy "my little duck," because of the constant quacking!  She does it when she flies, and if she's mad at one of her feathers.

#6 Crystal Bearrington

Crystal Bearrington

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

Haha, so it's not just my Quaker who quacks! And I swear, some times I think I should named him monkey, he sounds like one of those, too! Hehe

#7 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

Peppy does the quack, too.  Plus, when he talks he sounds like Donald Duck.  Really cute.  He does a chicken bok, bok, booooook, too, but he gets progressively louder and it's kind of hard to get him to stop once he gets started, so we try not to do that one too often.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quaker baby, handfeeding, advice