MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Can You Take Pesticides Out Of Wood?!?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 waylon

waylon

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

Hello please no one get mad at me I just have a honest question is it possible to remove pesticide from bird perches the reason I ask is because I read some were on the net that you could and have read that highbiscius or how ever you spell it is very healthy for parrots and I have a bush in my yard the last time my father sprayed was a little over two months ago and I wanted to know more about how and if you can remove the poison and how long you should wait till it's safe to even try?

Please no one jump my case about being unfit to care for a quaker I really am trying to learn and would greatly love honest greatful help thank you for your time have a wonderful day. :-)

#2 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:47 AM

Pesticides can penetrate the wood, even if the bark is removed. Myself, I would not risk it, especially when there are so many alternatives.

#3 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

You've asked a legitimate question, and no one should be mad at you for asking it. smile.png Some pesticides can leave a residue that can last a long time-- traces of them can remain in the wood for months, and can't be easily washed away. Stick with branches from trees that you are sure haven't been sprayed.

#4 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

Easttex and Gary, thank you for your compassion. I have been on other forums where folks can be quite snarky when one asks a question they think everyone should know the answer to. But how else do we learn?!!

To expand the question, can I use wood from a tree that MAY have been sprayed last year, but not this year? Can things penetrate and stay through a growing season do you think?

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

If there's any chance it's been sprayed, don't use it, just in case. Unless you are absolutely certain the tree has not been sprayed, use commercial perches instead. If you use natural wood, wash it thoroughly in hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid and then put it on a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven for about 15 minutes for good measure. 

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#6 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

Easttex and Gary, thank you for your compassion. I have been on other forums where folks can be quite snarky when one asks a question they think everyone should know the answer to. But how else do we learn?!!
To expand the question, can I use wood from a tree that MAY have been sprayed last year, but not this year? Can things penetrate and stay through a growing season do you think?

I know what you mean about snark. There's no need for it. I've been participating in a very good African grey forum for some time, and am happy to have found this one. I notice at least some crossover between the two staffs. I mean, there couldn't possibly be two Dees from PEI could there? :D

I agree with Siobhan on this. There's always some chance of residue inside, and with the chewing skills that parrots have (though my Quaker is not as determined a destroyer as my CAG) I would never knowingly give them something I knew had been sprayed, even in previous years. The risk might be minimal, but it's unnecessary to take it.

#7 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

LOL The forums are owned by the same person. :)

#8 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

I think you'll find that this forum never gets snarky.  I have yet to see it, anyhow, and I've been here for a few years now.  I love it here!

#9 CaptainNapalm

CaptainNapalm

Adv Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

You would be taking a gamble, a trace may linger and can cause damage you might regret.