MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New Member I Didnt Know I Was A Bird Person!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gnatalie

gnatalie

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:14 AM

Hey everyone! So as my title states im a new member and i was not aware i like birds! I have many exotic oets from 4 virginia opossums to many reptiles a dog and cats. I recently became momma to a quaker parrot ...not intentionally! My former employer called me one morning to come help with the parrot that had flown into the office. Im an animal person so I grabbed a towel my snake hook (idk why but it seemed like a handy tool) and a box then away i went to rescue this mystery bird. In my head it could be a parakeet or a hyacinth the description was super vague. I arrived and sitting on the floor was a quaker.... she was missing many toes and feathers but was readilly drinking the water i provided and either from stress or exhaustion or both she allowed me to scoop her up. I took her to the bird lady at the pet shop she clipped her wings for me and we gave her some food. She ate and began chatting up all the men in the room. Since then she has been with me .... she is pretty sweet when out of her cage though i have been bitten more times than i can count... however no blood so thats good ... im learning what the crap to do with her and she is for sure keeping me in line. She grumbles like an old man during movies. She is cage aggressive, she is missing toes and will not step up but will allow me to pick her up by grabbing her over her wings and gently lifting her. She has no fear of cats but sticks are her enemy. She will sometimes mouth me but wont groom me yet. She loves to talk to men. So far the only words i understand are "look at me" "bird" "supper time" and grumble grumble grumble lol.... she hates change and moving things in her cage is akin to declaring war ... she likes her toys she does not like grapes... loves mango and watermelon.... i really enjoy her as she is warm and im not allergic to her as i am things with fur...and lizards are cold ...oh her name is boots according to my 4 year old but i mostly call her bird... i say her but idk. Either way thanks for readig suggestions on bomding and earning her trust are very welcome!
  • Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

Wow, what a great story!!!  Welcome to the fabulous world of Quakers! :)

Well, you're doing everything exactly right so good for you!  Parrots can have a lot of the foods you eat; if it's healthy for you, it's okay for your parrot.  An exception to this "if it's healthy" rule is avacado, this is poisonous.  Fruit is good in moderation, and pits need to be avoided because they are poisonous.  Things that may not be so good for us that parrots shouldn't have are coffee, chocolate, alcohol, salt, and fat (fried foods).  If your Quaker sneaks a couple sips of your coffee now and then, it won't die...but it's not good for them.  And I spoil my birds by giving them tiny pieces of potato chips or a bit of a french fry every so often. :)

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!  Again, welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Quakers!

#3 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Thank you for rescuing this bird....and best of luck in getting to know each other.

smile.png

#4 gnatalie

gnatalie

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

Thanks! With the foods i knew a bit as it turns out reptiles and birds arent terribly far apart in What kills them. Today we shared some banana greek yogurt and she stole some sips of my tea...mostly she tried to steal my lemon. We hung out and per some suggestions on this forum about cage aggression i changed her cage around and even the location of it in the room. We are def learning eachother but it seems to be going well. She still bites as she is fearful of her feet but i think if something cut off my toes i might be touchy too! I took some pics of the snuggles i got last night ill share them later. She is a good bird just needs time ad patience. Oh she also loved my cheesy grits and i had to pry her away from them lol

#5 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

Welcome to you and congratulations on being adopted by a Quaker parrot. smile.png You'll find lots of good advice and helpful hints if you browse through the Forum posts-- and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any.

#6 gnatalie

gnatalie

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

Thanks! Here are a few pics i took this evening...Attached File  20140606_201721.jpg   118.83KB   1 downloadsAttached File  20140606_000458.jpg   70.26KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20140606_201655.jpg   80.46KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20140606_201703.jpg   114.18KB   0 downloads sorry for the positions of the pics... But this is "boots"
  • easttex and Crystal Bearrington like this

#7 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

Boots is ADORABLE!!! :D

#8 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

I LOVE the cuddling picture!! I'm glad she has chosen you! The love shines through!! wub.png

#9 gnatalie

gnatalie

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

Thanks! This morning she is full of finger hate. Lol its a good thing i have tough hands!

#10 Crystal Bearrington

Crystal Bearrington

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

Aww, what a sweet story! Sounds to me like you were just meant to have her! I'm so glad she found you! Lucky bird. I went to a pet store in Live Oak, Florida several years ago to buy a baby cockatiel. The owner opened the cage door and one of the girls flew out and landed on top of a Macaw cage. The macaw immediately snipped one of the birds toes clean off. So, of course we bought that bird right then and there. We put triple antibiotic on her foot and that was that, she was fine. Sorry for the long story LOL! I do wonder what happened to your Boots toes, probably another bird. We'll likely never know.
Anywho, welcome!

#11 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:11 AM

My CAG is missing all the nails from one foot. I adopted her from a dog shelter and all they could tell me was that the previous owners said she chewed them off herself. They've never grown back. Wish I could know the whole story, but it doesn't seem to handicap her. She still hangs off the top of her cage like a bat. :)

#12 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

Birds adapt amazingly to such things. Poor Benjy's got missing toes and one crippled toe and you'd never know it. Doesn't slow him down in the least. I have provided him with wider perches and a flat perch to sleep on but when he's out flying around, he lands wherever he wants and manages just fine.