MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New To Hand Feeding Need Advice.

hand feeding supplies pulling babies from nest box raise inside house or outside hand feeding tips

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MelbourneJoyce

MelbourneJoyce

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Hello Bird Friends,

I'm about to pull baby Quakers from the nest box in a week, and need advice.  I've read babies need warmth and humidity. If I bring them inside, I have a warm room but concerned the ac draws humidity out of the air. Is this something to be concerned about? This is my first time hand feeding so I'm nervous, but ready.

I can put them in my bedroom, the warmest room in the house. I need to buy supplies: a small aquarium, heat lamp (don't know what wattage to buy), termometer (to test formula heat), formula, syringes. If you know of any other things I need to buy - please tell me.

Can I use paper towels in the aquarium to change regularly to keep clean?

What type heat lamp (and wattage) do I need to purchase?

How many cc's do you feed at three weeks, 4 weeks and so on?

How do I check the crop to make sure formula is just right, so not to overfeed?

I was told I can feed every four hours and it's not necessary to feed at night.

I was told to wash the syringe after feeding each bird in clean water, and soak syringes in water (with a little clorax) to kill any bacteria after feedings.

I've watched others hand feeding, and it doesn't look difficult.  What I witnessed was guiding the head gently with your thumb and middle finger, hold the syringe at a 45 degree angle (to tilt the birds head) but I can't remember how many cc's to feed.  Check the crop to make sure formula is out of the crop - don't know how to do that.  Wash the syringe before feeding the next bird.

I've seen people using a little plastic bowl lined with paper towel to put each bird in to feed.

This is all I can think of at the time.  One week to go so I sould have plenty of learning time!

Thank you for comments and suggestions.

Joyce

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Is there a local breeder or avian vet you can ask?  It might be good to develop a good working relationship with an avian vet anyway, in case an emergency comes up with a baby.

We'll do our best to help you here, I just don't have experience raising babies and I don't think many of our regulars here do, either.  I'm going to contact a breeder I "met" (we exchanged some emails) awhile ago, and ask her to join the forum so she might be able to help you...

#3 MelbourneJoyce

MelbourneJoyce

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Yes, I have a trusted Bird Vet. I will be speaking to. I'd like to have the birds DNA sexed and their organs checked.  I plan to take a little road trip to two known breeders in my area, as well as call the breeder I bought Kiwi from.  He's busy with a day job, but mentioned he would be happy to help me any time.  I'll post what I learn with hopes it can help someone else.  Here's to my new adventure!  Thanks so much.

#4 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

Excellent!  Here's to your new adventure!  Good luck! :)