The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Is A Quaker The Right Choice?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 turtley awesome

turtley awesome

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

My partner and I are looking at getting another parrot (we currently have a male Princess Parrot) to join our little pet family - we also have a Blue Tongue Lizard and a Rhodesian Ridgeback.  I have heard misxed reviews on the Quaker Parrot - some people say that they are cute and cuddly whereas others say that they are persistent biters.  Our Princess Parrot - Finn - is a very independent bird who likes to play hairdresser and give kisses.  We have never had any issue with him biting or being aggressive.

I guess my main query is, will a Quaker Parrot fit into our family?

#2 cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

Welcome to the Forum! You'll find that either description of Quaker parrots might be true-- some are cuddly, some are not. Some are nippy, others aren't. Each parrot has a unique personality, though most Quakers do have things in common with other QPs. Much like Finn, your Princess parrot, QPs are often independent and enjoy rearranging their human friends' hair. They are typically very intelligent and curious about everything, and can sometimes be stubborn and bossy. QPs  have the reputation for being noisy, but not all are-- my Quaker Ralph is fairly quiet.

How a Quaker would fit into your family is a question you can best answer yourself. Do lots of research and try to get to know a few Quakers. Browse through the posts here on the Forum, visit the companion site http://www.quakerparrots.com and read a good book about Quakers, like Mattie Sue Athan's Guide to the Quaker Parrot. Learn as much as you can, then you'll be able to decide how well a QP would fit in at your home. smile.png

#3 easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

Hi Turtley!  I adopted an older Quaker, who is definitely not of the cuddly variety.  He reportedly lived his previous 21 years in his cage, and is very protective of it, and doesn't really want to leave it.  In spite of that, he is quite friendly and clearly loves company and interaction.  He's perhaps a bit on the extreme end of cuddly/not cuddly, though that might be due as much due to nurture as to nature.  I get a great deal of enjoyment out of the relationship, even if he doesn't want the scritches that my African grey just adores, and I wouldn't let him anywhere near my eyeballs to groom me, like my grey does.

Quakers do have a reputation for nippiness, but you take a chance with any parrot that their personalities will develop in ways that can be very hard to control.  As long as you're prepared for that and have the resources, I think just about any kind of parrot can be the right choice, depending on your own circumstances.  Though with some, hard of hearing neighbors is helpful, too.  smile.png

#4 turtley awesome

turtley awesome

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:10 AM

Thanks guys for the replies and advice =) so far they are still at the top of my list.