MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Ralph's Latest Obsession

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

Recently, Ralph has become fascinated with the automatic dishwasher. ohmy.png I can't quite understand why he finds it so interesting. Every time he comes out of his cage, we have to go into the kitchen, where he points me in the direction of the dishwasher (by staring intently at it, then bobbing his head). So I have to open the dishwasher door so Ralph can look inside (while it's not running, of course). Repeat process a dozen or more times. laugh.png Last night while we were inspecting the dishwasher, I put a used coffee mug inside, so then we had to double-check to make sure it was still in there. biggrin.png It never ceases to amaze me what will capture the attention of a parrot.

• Bene_Gesserit, Cindi&Jeriel, Sharyn and Mr Piggy and 1 other like this

#2 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

Hmmm....maybe you can rig up some type of pulley system so he can load it for you!! May as well take advantage of his interest!! tongue.png

• Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Clearly he has developed a passion for clean dishes. You should let him watch you load it, then turn it on and come back and let him see the dishes are all clean. 

#4 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

This morning, I loaded a few things into the dishwasher, with Ralph sitting on my shoulder, supervising. He wanted to be a more hands-on (talons-on?) assistant though, so we didn't get much accomplished. biggrin.png Later, I rolled his cage over to the kitchen doorway and let him watch from there as I loaded my dinner dishes into the dishwasher. Ralph quickly got bored and started building with his sticks instead. We'll see tomorrow what he thinks when I have a full load and will be ready to run the dishwasher again.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#5 Fig

Fig

Adv Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

Skye is Executive Assistant over at my boyfriend's apartment when he does the dishes  and makes coffee. I bring him over there in the morning to visit, and he "helps out" while Dorr makes coffee for us, and then does food and water for his birds.

#6 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

I've found household chores take, roughly, twice as long with a parrot helper, but it takes the drudgery right out. 

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#7 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Everything is more difficult to accomplish with the "help" of a parrot. I keep telling mine that if they will sit nicely upon their perches and boss the job instead of trying to help, then cage cleaning will take half the time, and I'll be able to concentrate on playing with them that much sooner. They are convinced, however, that I can't possibly clean without supervision. Clyde is particularly prone to directing me. For one thing, I am not supposed to clean any but his cage. I am definitely not supposed to feed the fish and snails. 

• easttex likes this

#8 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

When I was writing out the invitations to my son's graduation party, Mr P not only had to supervise and help, he also had to taste test the invitations to ensure they were good enough to send out. I tried to explain to him that the humans were just going to read the invitations, not eat them, but he didnt believe me.

Attached Files

• Bene_Gesserit, Oteyspeople and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#9 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

I usually let Ralph supervise household chores from his cage, but he typically loses interest and finds other things to do-- which, of course, eventually require Ralph to demand my immediate attention, such as pulling apart his stick structure so he can build something else. biggrin.png

Many years ago when I was writing Christmas cards, I piled them neatly on the arm of my chair as I finished addressing them. The chair was right next to George the YCA's cage, so naturally, George had to inspect the cards-- with his beak. Just about every card had a small puncture mark in one corner. laugh.png

I still didn't have a full load in the dishwasher, so didn't get to run it today. Ralph looked inside and nodded in agreement when I said we'd wait until tomorrow to wash  the dishes. smile.png

• Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#10 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

I cleaned the snail tank this evening and Clyde, who doesn't approve of snails, sat on the boing and made caustic remarks, while Maggie of all people insisted on supervising the cleaning. If you think it's difficult to accomplish anything with a bossy Quaker on your shoulder, try having a plump pigeon there. Although she was clinging to the back of my neck, frantically woo-wooing in my ear. I assume the woo-wooing was meant to be encouraging. At one point, Greta the tiel and Benjy the budgie were both on my head, arguing about whose turn it was to sit on my head, while Maggie clung to my back and I tried to vacuum gravel without sucking up any snails. Unsuccessfully, I might add. I had to empty the hose into a dish and cart several snails back to the tank.

#11 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

Siobhan, I am sure you have answered this at one point, but how in the world did you get a pigeon as a pet? I am assuming that Maggie is tame by the fact that she sits on your neck. How old is she? How long have you had her?

I don't know why I just assumed Maggie was some sort of parrot, I guess I missed the earlier memo that she was a pigeon!

#12 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:57 PM

I apparently have a neon sign attached to my forehead that says "homeless birds apply here." A co-worker's sister's friend acquired Maggie when Maggie landed on her son's shoulder when he was in the back yard. They assume she was part of one of those awful "dove releases" they do at weddings and funerals with the idea that the pigeons (they're not doves) will find their way home. She's pure white, and they breed homing pigeons to be white so they can pretend they're doves for these events. Except, obviously, she did NOT find her way home. They had her for five years and adored her, but they had to move to Florida (we're in Illinois) to take care of elderly parents whose health was too fragile to withstand the dust and feathers and mess that come with having a pigeon in the house. My co-worker's sister is a Facebook friend and knew I was a crazy bird lady, so she asked if I would take Maggie. We've had her for a little more than three years and she is not only tame, she's almost surgically attached to me whenever I'm in the room. If it weren't for our dog, Jack (we also have neon signs that say "homeless dogs apply here") who has been with us not quite a year, she would have the run of the place and would follow me everywhere I go in the house. But Jack can't be trusted with birds, so they have to stay in their room, which is entirely set up for their comfort and convenience, with a screen door so they can hear us and we can hear them.

Having a pigeon attached to you when you also have several parrots who are or want to be attached to you makes for interesting bird time. She's so much bigger that they don't meddle with her and she's not even slightly intimidated by them. Tonight she was sitting in her favorite spot on the back of my chair, preening my cheek, when Greta climbed up my chest for a kiss, and she gave me a hard pinch for punishment. She doesn't do that normally, preferring to pretend the parrots don't exist. LOL If they annoy her, she pecks them or wing slaps them, but mostly she ignores them. She and Clyde get into it occasionally when she's on the back of the chair and he wants to sit on my shoulder, and even Clyde backs down rather than mix it up too much with her.

• Cindi&Jeriel, Sharyn and Mr Piggy and easttex like this

#13 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:38 PM

What do pigeons eat?

#14 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Petsmart sells a dove and quail blend in the wild bird food aisle that I buy for her (they're very similar to pigeons) but she also steals the Quakers' pellets and Benjy's budgie seed and anything else she wants.

#15 Fig

Fig

Adv Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

I had a Mourning Dove for 8 years. He was brought to me (crazy bird lady) by some people who found him in their back yard. He'd fallen from his nest, was about 2 weeks old.  I hand fed him, raised him and he became a lovely pet. When he was a little baby, Shami, the Senegal, watched over him like a "mother hen"....tho' Shami is a male, so I guess it's Proud Papa. The first time Sidney cooed, he startled himself! He looked like.."Did that noise come out of ME?" 

#16 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

Only other birds I've ever had were ducks..wild mallards we hatched in an incubator and raised. They lived in the front yard in the little pond we had there. When they got old enough to fly away, they did. We lived right on the Chesapeake Bay so they hung out in the marina there with the other wild ducks. Every winter when it snowed, they would come back home and bring their friends for handouts. It was pretty cool. They were not "inside" ducks though!

#17 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

Maggie coos constantly and she has different coos that mean different things. She isn't terribly bright, poor dear, but we love her anyway. LOL

Gary, did Ralph get to see the dishwasher run yet? 

#18 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

Gary, did Ralph get to see the dishwasher run yet? 

He did-- but apparently, he didn't like the amount of noise it was making, and wanted to leave the kitchen. biggrin.png We went back after the dishwasher stopped so he could see inside again. Ralph wasn't particularly impressed that all the noise resulted in clean dishes, but he still enjoyed looking in there. laugh.png

Edited by cnyguy, 15 June 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#19 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

Quakers only approve of noise if THEY are the ones making said noise. 

• Jan Cullen likes this

#20 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

Quakers only approve of noise if THEY are the ones making said noise. 

Very true-- and that applies to pretty much all parrots. George  used to get really annoyed with the crows  outside for making a racket, but it was perfectly OK for him to do an accurate imitation of them. laugh.png

• Jan Cullen and Cindi&Jeriel like this