MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Best Cages

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

So, I've got Peppy out of his budgie cage, and he's doing well. I bought a semi-portable one that I hoped to eventually use as a night cage, assuming we can get to a point where he lets me handle him without too much drama. Yesterday, though, we had a mini-crisis and I want to go ahead with a new cage. The crisis was that he got two toes caught in the one place in the whole cage where the bar spacing is not 5/8". It's not an issue when the door is closed, only when it is opened like a drawbridge. Poor little guy. He recovered quicker than I did, though.

My question is, do people have a favored cage manufacturer? I bought stainless steel for my CAG, I don't recall the maker, but am not really impressed with the quality. Are the main manufacturers pretty much alike?

#2 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

I've never had ANY problems with Prevue cages. They last a long time and are well put together. You all pay more for them, usually, but I think they are the best out there

#3 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

Casey has an HQ cage  It looks like this but in white.... http://www.hqpetcages.com/8002422.html   I like the flat top as she spends most of her day up there and we have added a wooden stand that she climbs around on.

#4 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the recommendations.  I will check out both brands.  I prefer flat tops, also.  A dome might make it seem a little bigger, but I don't think height is as important as width.

#5 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

The cage that Mr P came in was domed and I hated it. You couldnt hang toys from the top and Mr P never climbed around in the domed part anyway.

The cage I bought recently is a big flight cage with a flat top and Mr P loves it.  It has no bells and whistles, no cage top playstand, no "skirt" around it to catch seed, just a huge cage with a lower and upper door, a shelf on teh bottom to hold supplies and 4 wheels. I love it too

Edited by Sharyn and Mr Piggy, 17 June 2014 - 07:39 PM.

• Casey's Mom likes this

#6 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

I took off the skirt around the bottom, didn't like the corners to bang against. Daniel ( Coton de Tulear)  takes care of any food that Casey drops :)

#7 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

If I don't remove Mr P from within reach of his cage during the day, he gets out of control with his aggressiveness so I  can't keep him on the top of his cage on a playstand anyway.

I take him out in the am and put him on various playstands throughout my house during the day, depending on where I am. Then at night, he goes back into his cage.

His cage is probably overkill as far as size goes but it makes me happy:

This is what I bought for Mr P:

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B00176F5L0

No complaints, not one smile.png

Casey's  cage is nice though!

Edited by Sharyn and Mr Piggy, 17 June 2014 - 09:19 PM.

• Casey's Mom likes this

#8 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

I've always thought the seed catchers are more trouble than they are worth. Always snagging something, and not all that stable. I did appreciate that they provided a barrier to my grey, Allie, who is not much of a flier, from getting down to the floor when I didn't want her there, but I also worried about her getting a toe caught somewhere.

I'm hoping that Peppy will want to start venturing out of his cage. I'd like to introduce him to the travel cage so we can go for a vet check, but I don't want to force him out. Maybe one day he'll want to hang out on a play stand. For now, I cart his cage several times a day to the room where I am spending most of my time. Kind of a hassle, but I need more strength exercise anyway. :)