MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Our New Addition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Quakerlvr

Quakerlvr

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

I would like to introduce our new Quaker Parrot...? We haven't decided on a name yet. The breeder at the bird fair said she is pretty sure he is a male. Our name choices as of right now are either; Skye, or Indigo. He is mostly weaned, doesn't really want the hand feedings anymore... Is it really best to wean them to seed? Or should I try and switch him over to Roudybush pellets instead? Or a little of both?
He is so sweet. :). Enjoy the pictures!

Attached Files

#2 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

What a sweet looking fluff ball!!
Pellets are definitely better than seed. Seeds are actually not that good for Quakers and should be used as a treat, making up no more than 10% of the diet. Pellets, veggies, and fruit should be the bulk. I'd make sure he is eating pellets well first before offering a seed treat, too.

• easttex likes this

#3 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

Welcome to the Forum! smile.png

#4 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

He's beautiful!

Seconding the switch to pellets. If you can get him to eat Rowdybush, that's a great brand.

#5 Quakerlvr

Quakerlvr

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:34 PM

Thanks everyone! I ordered the conversion food for him, it will be here tomorrow (Tuesday). He is trying to eat some fruit flavored parakeet pellets I have, so I am hoping he will switch easily. :) He is taking about 3 feedings of about 4 to 6 mL each feeding per 24 hours. I just love their Quaker dance! Lol. I'm trying to get him used to drinking out of a water bottle too...hopefully he catches on quickly. He is so sweet.
So anyone have a preference for the name?
Skye?
Or
Indigo?

#6 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

So anyone have a preference for the name?
Skye?
Or
Indigo?

Sometimes a parrot will help choose his own name-- have you tried them out with your QP to see if he has a preference? They're both  good names-- I know of a couple other blue Quakers named Skye, but don't think I've run across one called Indigo. smile.png

#7 azabeth

azabeth

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

Awww, he is just so cute! What name did you go with in the end? Just beware though- my breeder said mine was a boy and after living with me for 9 years SHE has just laid an egg for the first time today lol!!  I don't think it matters if they're single birds really though :) I would second what others have said and try to introduce the pellets early, as once they get onto the seed, some birds can be difficult to switch over. I got my little blue quaker at 4 months old, and he was very shy at first, even though he was hand-reared, so i decided to keep him on the food the breeder had been feeding him- a basic seed mix- for a few weeks until he had settled in. Then when i later tried to introduce pellets he refused them completely- it took weeks of thrown food and tantrums to get him to eat even a little, and he's still a very picky eater! Best of luck with your new little fellow- i hope you're both very happy together x

#8 Quakerlvr

Quakerlvr

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

Hi, we decided to go with the name "Sky". We were afraid he wouldn't be able to learn to say Indigo - - too complicated. He didn't really seem very interested in the conversion pellets I bought for him, so I went and bought him some Roudybush pellets for smaller birds an he seems to be nibbling on them in between feedings. I haven't been giving him any more seed, just the pellets. I weigh him everyday and he weighs 85 grams now. He picks at his feet a lot, is this normal? Lol. He is exploring his cage and playing with his toys a bit too. He isn't very noisy yet, he chirps and makes a few noises off and on, but hardly nothing yet. We all spend time with him and talk to him everyday. I am hoping to raise him to like everyone in the household, not just me or my SO.
I will attach a picture of him on the stand I made for him. Enjoy!!Attached File  image.jpg   105.48KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by Quakerlvr, 22 June 2014 - 11:51 PM.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this