MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New To Forum And Quakers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kayakersteve

Kayakersteve

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Hello! I'm a new Quaker owner. This little guy is 9 1/2 weeks old and we love him so far. Just picked up yesterday. Looking for any and all advice on raising him properly. I want him to like being handled and interacted with. Would love him to learn a few words.

Attached Files

Edited by Kayakersteve, 14 June 2014 - 09:59 PM.

• Bettyboop likes this

#2 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

Welcome! He is a cute little guy! Have you named him?

#3 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Hi Steve. He is a cutie, alright! Is he weaned? After you allow him some time to adjust to the big life change he is now experiencing, my suggestion would be to expose him to lots of different things while he is young, like a variety of fresh, healthy foods, different people, and if you're so inclined, a harness. I'd love to be able to take my older birds outdoors without a cage, but it can be very, very hard to get them to accept a harness later in life. Also, basic training on things like step up and step down will help you build a bond, not to mention that they are indispensable behaviors. I think positive reinforcement is the way to go with parrots, so find something he particularly loves to eat, remove it from his regular meals, and use it only as a reward. Then be pretty lavish with treats and praise when he does something you want him to repeat. And if you want him to talk, which not all of them will, talk to him a lot. Just make him a part of the family, and be patient and loving. That's my two cents, anyway. :)

#4 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

Welcome to the Forum! smile.png If you browse through the Forum posts, you'll find lots of good advice  on raising and caring for Quaker parrots. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask them.

#5 Bettyboop

Bettyboop

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

WELCOME STEVE N HE IS A CUTE LIL THING

#6 Kayakersteve

Kayakersteve

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for welcomes