MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Critter Magnets

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Oteyspeople

Oteyspeople

Adv Member

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

I've noticed that several folks on the board seem to be critter magnets. Hubby & I sure fall into that category. Stuff just shows up at our house.

In addition to adopting a little blue parakeet as a cagemate for Lovey, this weekend alone we've found an injured Cooper's Hawk and an elderly beagle. Hawk went to our avian vet, who is on the Game & Inland Fisheries approved list; elderly beagle was returned to her daddy this afternoon.

So what's the weirdest animal encounter you've had?

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

We lived in Oklahoma City for several years right after we were married and we had a stray horse show up. People could and did keep horses in the city if they had room but we didn't know where he'd come from because no one we knew nearby had a horse. We tried to catch him and I almost had him a couple of times, but he didn't have a halter (and WE didn't!) so I couldn't convince him to come home with me so we could try to figure out where he belonged. 

#3 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

Baby raccoons....my daughter found two abandoned baby raccoons in a hotel parking lot - no parent in sight. She brought them home and they lived with us for about three months, until they were hitting puberty and becoming too much to control. Then they went to Waldens Puddle, a wild animal rehab facility.

They were like baby kittens for a while, and were a lot of fun to watch. I have pictures of my daughter walking around with a raccoon on each shoulder. We called her "Ellie Mae Clampett"!

We've had our share of abandoned puppies and kittens, but we just take those in stride.

#4 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

I have a few.

1: I went out drinking with my military buddies.  I was not driving.  We closed the bar and I was feeling no pain. When we walked outside, there was a calf (baby cow,) standing there staring at us. Thankfully, one of my friends had another friend who owned a farm...they came and picked up the calf.  To this day we don't know where it came from.

2: I used to smoke, but I sat outside on my stairs because I didn't want my pets & kids subject to second hand smoke. I went out at about 1 am to have my final cig of the night.  I heard this erratic *clonk* *clonk* and turned to see a young skunk who had a McDonald's McFlurry container on his/her head.  I decided that being stinky was preferable to this little guy dying of thirst, so I managed to get it off him/her.  Surprisingly, I was not sprayed.

3: I went out very early one morning to have my first cig of the day, and since I had just gotten up, I put a baseball cap on over my messy hair.  I heard what I thought was a bee buzzing, then saw little feet on my brim.  It was a hummingbird who decided to rest on me.

4: I live in the Berkshire mountains in MA, and it's country out here.  My dog was barking, going absolutely nuts.  We had a motion detector light in the rear of the house, and it had gone on.  I peeked out the window, hoping to see a coydog or fox....and I swear there was a mountain lion. Supposedly they are extinct in the NE, but I can promise you they are not.

I'm the person everyone calls when they find a fawns, nestlings, etc. Suprisingly, I have never owned a wild animal, but every animal in my area knows me from weird random encounters.  It's kind of flattering that when my local wild animals see me and hear my voice, they don't feel the need to rush off...they just kind of give me a head nod and continue foraging.

• Oteyspeople and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Your skunk reminded me of our skunk. Neighborhood kids found a baby skunk, eyes barely open and the mother had been hit by a car. Naturally, they brought it to us. LOL I tried feeding her with a doll bottle and she wasn't impressed, so I offered canned cat food and she was more pleased by that. She lived in the house and used a litter box and we tried to find a vet to descent her but none would do it. One night I was reading in bed and she was asleep snuggled against the back of my neck in the sill of the open window, and one of our dogs popped her head up into the window from outside and startled Pepe (the skunk), who sprayed the dog, the bedroom, me and all. We didn't realize she was old enough for that yet. Fortunately, the dog didn't get much spray because she had good reflexes and ducked in time, and I didn't get much because Pepe was aiming through the window at the dog. The next day we started trying to teach her to hunt her own food and take care of herself and she learned fast and a couple of weeks later, we took her to the woods and released her. We wanted to keep her, but with dogs around, and no vet willing to descent her, we envisioned all of us smelling like skunk a good deal of the time and didn't know what else to do. I kissed her goodbye and set her down and she took off like a shot and never even looked back, so we figured we made the right call.

• Bene_Gesserit, Oteyspeople and Cindi&Jeriel like this