MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

What A Lovely Site!

feeding(or not)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 friogjune

friogjune

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:57 AM

So glad to have found you all, and hope you can help! Adopted by 2yr old quaker girl about 5 weeks ago, and having a lot of trouble getting her to eat much (of the right sort of food) Came with a "parrot mix "of seed big and small, grain and biscuit which she nibbles, but does not touch veg or fruit unless I give her tiny bits of mine some of which she tolerates by hand but not in food bowl.  Will eat pasta, no sauce, taramasalata (loves), cream, ditto, both as special treats. but all by hand which I cannot do all the time. Evidently ate sandwich and crisps previously.  Am obviously new to this lovely game, and she seems to have bonded well - I get a lot of daily grooming and can stroke and tickle her now - the bruises have disappeared!   She was talking at her old home, but have only ever heard her say hello when I am out of room. She does whistle and mimic a bit..  Hope someone can help with the diet problem.   She is out of her cage twice a day,as I have dogs stil to get used to her. but does not seem to play much. She is a flier.

#2 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Just keep trying with the fruits and veggies. These guys are like toddlers in that it takes them a while to decide if they like something. Also, my Ocho loves raw broccoli, but won't eat it cooked. So try different ways of presenting as well.

Pellets are the best diet for parrots. There are many varieties. Maybe someone will be along who can help you with the transition from seed to pellet. Good luck!

#3 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on being adopted by a Quaker parrot! smile.png

There are some good articles on Quaker parrot diet and nutrition here on the companion site: http://www.quakerparrots.com/diet/ There's some helpful hints there on conversion to a pellet diet, among other things.

You do have to be persistent when trying to get a QP to eat new foods-- offer the same things over and over again and don't give up. You can try eating some of the new foods in front of your parrot and showing her how delicious they are. Parrots usually like to share things their human friends enjoy eating.

#4 friogjune

friogjune

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

Thanks so much you who have replied, helpful, tho' already"share", and have bought pellets which she laughs at, but will try persevering. It is the present time which is a problem, and dread feeding time - what to give?!!! - apart from all the bad things she likes. Has a great pesonality , though maybe too dependant on me.

#5 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

There are many different ways to try sneaking in some veggies, some of which will work with some birds and not others. Many birds really like bird bread, and there are many recipes out there, but I use Harrison's for convenience. My birds like the hot pepper variety best. You can add veggies to it when you bake it, but I would dice them small to at least make it harder for them to pick it out. Higgins World Cuisines seem to be a hit with my picky birds. They have veggies, but you could add to them. You can also try baby food or making up fruit and veggie shakes, frozen or liquid. The key is to persevere. They'll reject and reject and reject something and then one day will up and try it.

I think it's especially important to put a bird who dislikes veggies on a pelleted diet. Anything else is too easy for them to continually pick out only their favorite bits and not get a balanced diet. I'm trying to convert one of mine now. I mix two different pellets (Harrison's Fine and Roudybush California blend) in with his preferred Cockatiel mix. I'm gradually reducing the mix in favor of the pellets. We've been working on it for about six weeks and I see signs of progress. :)

#6 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

You might try soaking some of the pellets in water or unsweetened fruit juice to soften them. Sometimes parrots will accept the softened pellets more readily than the dry ones. My QP Ralph loves the soaked pellets, and thinks they're a special treat. biggrin.png I soak them in bottled spring water (our local water is heavily chlorinated and tastes awful mad.gif ), and sometimes offer the pellets from a small spoon, or put some on the bottom edge of Ralph's cage so he has to climb down and "forage" for them.