MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Happy Huts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

So... I read some info which indicated that happy huts pose quite a risk to parrots - threads, chewing, strangulation etc... I was wondering if anyone on this forum has had any experience/opinion on this? I took away all happy huts after reading this but it is winter here now and I think they would appreciate one to sleep in..
Thoughts?
Laura, gypsie and tango

#2 Jean from SC

Jean from SC

Adv Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

I think if you just keep an eye on them then it should be OK. Each bird can be different. One may chew it, another not bother. I used one when Sophie was a new baby (2 months old). But the older she got it became a chew toy for her. To many strings to keep cutting so I just took it out. I may try again now that she's 2 years old.

#3 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

Ocho doesn't chew his at all, so I left it. Our winters get cold and I worried that he might get a chill.

#4 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

If you use happy huts (and we do,) you should inspect them regularly to be sure there's no loose strings or holes being chewed into them by your fid.  Happy ate through the loops that it hangs from over and over, so I finally took a 'scrunchie' (you know, ladies use them for ponytails?) and cut one in half to cover the loops with...she chews the scrunchie rather than the loops now. I clean her cage daily so I just inspect the hut then.  She LOVES her hut and I think she'd be miserable without it.  She sleeps in it and preens it as though it's a bird pal.

#5 CaptainNapalm

CaptainNapalm

Adv Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

You'll find that a lot of the negative feedback or warnings floating around the internet on the dangers of happy huts are actually somehow linked to manufacturers who want to sell you a happy hut "alternative".  Unless you are negligent in how you monitor your bird and their surroundings, happy huts shouldn't pose any more of a risk to the bird than any other toy.  You'll usually be able to spot a loose string on a happy hut before it poses any risk to the parrot.

#6 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

this is all very true, thanks everyone! 

#7 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

OK so I made (with a lot of thought and consideration) some amazing happy huts from a fleece material which does not get stringy - I even lined it with a REALLY hard edgiging so they might not chew it as quick but within 2 days it was destroyed!!! And I even checked it both days so most of the damage was done the second night!!!! Grrrr... So I took it out and threw it away... I then came up with another idea. What about one made of paperbark wood and bark?! So I made one (will upload pics soon) and they love it - it is warmer than a perch, they can chew on it as much as they want and I am one up on them! Human wins!!

#8 Jean from SC

Jean from SC

Adv Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Please send some pics.  Sounds like a great idea!!

#9 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

so here are the pictures i said i would post Attached File  happy hut 2.jpg   114.46KB   0 downloadsAttached File  happy hut 3.jpg   119.34KB   0 downloadsAttached File  happy hut 4.jpg   133.97KB   0 downloadsAttached File  happy hut 5.jpg   138.48KB   0 downloadsAttached File  happy hut1.jpg   153.03KB   0 downloads

although these pics were taken in their outside cage and it is now in the indoor aviary where they spend the majority of their time :-) 

• amschneider8 and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this