MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Apple Cider Vinegar

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

Does anyone supplement their fid's water with apple cider vinegar? If so, how much and how often? I've heard it has great health benefits, just want real life experience. Thanks!

#2 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:18 AM

I don't do this with my birds, but hate to see an unreplied-to comment. I've known quite a few people who add ACV to their chickens' water, but not parrots. Some people swear by it, but as far as I know, there isn't a lot of science to support the claims. I'm reluctant because, although there are vitamins and other good things in it, since it has some antibacterial properties I worry about the possibility of upsetting the balance between good and bad gut bacteria. But then, I worry a lot. :)

Edited by easttex, 01 July 2014 - 05:19 AM.

#3 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

I've never used apple cider vinegar, but I have occasionally put aloe vera juice in their drinking water and bath water. It seems to soften their tough little pin feathers when they're molting, and it may have some health benefits. Who knows?