MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Blood On Eggs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 azabeth

azabeth

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:57 AM

As i mentioned a few days ago in another topic, my 9 year old blue quaker called Jack that i've had since 4 months old and thought was a boy until 6 days ago, just started laying eggs. Jack has laid 3 eggs now, the last one yesterday morning at 3 am.

The thing is, they have all come out with blood on them. I read that can occasionally happen with their first egg, so i didn't worry, but when the 3rd egg appeared with the same amount of blood i was wondering if i should be concerned? With the first egg i noticed her vent was a little dirty and had a tiny bit of blood, but she's been clean since.

Unfortunately, having no hut or box she has made a "nest" out of the entire floor of her cage and sits down there constantly with her eggs- so it's hard to tell if she's not feeling well. She is bonded to me and lets me stroke her and handle the eggs no problem (i took them out and cleaned them and gave them back to her.) But she won't leave the eggs at all without encouragement- except to shuffle a few paces to the corner of the cage to poop every so often. I lift her out a few times a day, then she has a poop and a drink and a good stretch and gives me a little kiss before climbing straight back in to sit on the eggs. I've been feeding her in the bottom of her cage because she refuses to leave the eggs even to eat- but she is eating lots when i put food in front of her- which i've been doing every couple of hours. She's a fussy eater but i've been getting all her favourite foods (which luckily seem to be high calcium foods) scrambled eggs with the shells mixed in, broccoli, apple, peas, sweetcorn, almonds, cheerios, and her seed mix- she also has a fruit/pellet/puffed grains mix, but she is doesn't really eat much of it. I'm also giving her rice pudding, which i know isn't very healthy but it's her fave treat- and when she wouldn't leave the eggs at all even to drink for 16 hours until her 3rd egg was laid i was giving her apple juice and water in a syringe, that she drank from happily.

We live in the middle of nowhere- and the nearest avian vet i can find is several hours away- my local vet who we take the rabbit to is lovely and will see birds but doesn't have much experience with them, and luckily Jack has never needed to see the vet anyway. I figured so long as she's eating and pooping then she's ok- but it's hard to get out of that mindset that laying on the floor of the cage= ill and about to die (as has been true with my other birds) Obviously her behaviour is very different to usual- all she wants to do usually is come out and play.

Sorry about the rambling post- i'm sure i'm just over-reacting because i have always had boys- and the breeder told me she was a boy- so despite having birds for 20 years i just have no experience with this.

#2 Fig

Fig

Adv Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

I don't really know for sure, but I would guess that the blood is from her straining to pass the egg.  I've had this happen with my girls on occasion when they laid an egg or eggs.

It's ok for her to be on the floor...that's where the eggs are and she wants to sit on them.  As long as she's taking nourishment things should be alright.

You might want to call the avian vet and ask for an opinion.

#3 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

My only experience with bloody eggs is with chickens, but it may be relevant. It's not unusual for it to occur with very young layers, before all their equipment is "in shape". It wouldn't be too surprising if a bird unaccustomed to laying eggs would tear a little tissue as the egg moves though the system. I would make sure no blood is being passed in the poop and would keep an eye on her vent.

I think Fig's idea is a good one. Some vets are wiling to help over the phone, especially if you can send pictures. You might get some peace of mind.

#4 azabeth

azabeth

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Thank you for replying- i really appreciate it. I was worried she might be straining to pass them- i think she's quite a small bird, compared to some other quakers. I took a photo on my phone of the 3rd egg before i cleaned it- i thought i might need it if we ended up making the trip. That'a a good thought about just ringing or emailing or sending a pic to the vet over the phone. I have no problem going for a drive, but Jack's only ever made very short trips in the car and i would hate to move and stress her unnecessarily.

Her vent has been clean since the first one. The lower area of her tummy is missing a couple of feathers over the beast bone and is a tiny bit dirty, but i think that's just because she keeps shuffling around the cage floor with the eggs all day, because she can't POSSIBLY leave them for a couple of seconds to get a seed or piece of food that's just out of reach lol! After the first egg appeared i gave her some ripped up paper towels and a little of the rabbits hay- when i had gotten over the shock of my "boy" of 9 years laying an egg (for one crazy moment i was thinking- where did he get that from? has another bird snuck into his cage and dropped it? rolleyes.gif )  I made a 100% mashed fruit smoothie for her this afternoon- and that kept her out of the cage for a full 5 minutes she was so excited... then she went back to the eggs, after wiping her smoothie covered face on me first of course ;) It's a shame she doesn't understand they won't hatch- seems like she'd be a good mum with all the effort she's putting in!

#5 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

It is sad watching them take such futile good care of their eggs, isn't it? They usually lose interest before too long, but it does take a toll. But now that you know that he's a she, you can watch for the hormonal signs and head off the eggs. Hopefully, anyway.

#6 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

I noticed this with Happy's eggs as well.  The first was the worst, but it was also the largest.  I just assumed that the blood was from small tears in her vent, since the eggs must be much larger than any of their waste, but it was never so much that I got worried.