MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

The Switch From Seeds To Pellets 😱

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah&Sonny

Sarah&Sonny

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

My quaker, Sonny, is a rescue. For well over 20 years, she has eaten strictly seeds. Not even fruits or veggies. Sonny is pretty accepting to fruits and veggies, but she will drop every pellet out of her food dish and on to the floor.
the girl loves seeds.
I want these last couple years to be the best and I want her to be healthy. Any helpful suggestions on how to make the transition?
Thank you :)

#2 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

You can try what I'm doing with Peppy. I think it is starting to pay off, after six weeks or so. I started adding little bits of two types of pellets to his seed mix, and am gradually changing the proportions. I'm also giving him chunks of bird bread and Higgins cooked food, as a kind of bridge. I really want him on the pellets primarily, but the two of those are much better than seeds, and he likes both of them. At some point I will quit the seed except as an occasional treat. That's my plan, anyway. :)
  • msdani1981 likes this

#3 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

I was lucky enough to get a sample of the Roudybush Nibles, and they look a lot like seeds, and are a similar size.  I don't know if they give samples anymore, but I had the easiest time transitioning Happy to those. Colored pellets appeal to many birds, but Happy wanted nothing to do with them.

#4 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

Bene_Gesserit, I have to ask a question that is totally off topic from this post. Your "username" for this site reminds me of the book Dune. Is that where you got it from? You spell it differently than the book but when said outloud it's pronounced the same (at least close enough in my mind)

#5 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

Yep, that's exactly what it's from!  It was spelled this way (without the dash) in the initial trilogy. smile.png

• Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#6 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

Thanks, I thought I was losing my mind! Not a whole lot of Dune fans that I know of ! :)

• Bene_Gesserit likes this

#7 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

I came back in to mention that I bought Happy some Lefeber Avi-Cakes (fruit) today and she went absolutely INSANE for them.  It's a 50/50 mix of pellets and seeds, with dried fruits, mixed together with a molasses type binder.  Worth every penny!

#8 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

Ive actually been meaning to try these (avicakes) out on Mr P. He does not like the nutriberries. He did at first but now he just prefers to drop them off his playstand and listen to the sound they make when they bounce

Edited by Sharyn and Mr Piggy, 04 July 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#9 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Happy loves them, but I do have to crumble them up...otherwise, she takes the cake and dumps it.