MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Sticky Saliva Strings?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Seraffa

Seraffa

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:49 PM

Even before I gave her first bath with some aloe vera, I found that Pauly's silent "jabbering" at different times of day was - at second glance - a kind of episode with sticky saliva strings on the inside of her mouth.

Gary of Adventures in Birds thought it was just the natural oils and residue from her preening. I removed all big seeds from her former diet so I know it's not from that, either. Thankfully I didn't crack open a bag of calcium-fortified grit labeled "for all parrots" (WHEW!) although I had bought one.

so now I wonder if there's something I should still be doing for Pauly's digestion? She does not drink very much water (unless it is while I am away.) 

Does this mean she has a "cold"?

#2 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:07 AM

It could be a sign of dehydration. Does she have an open bowl of water, as opposed to a water bottle? You could try adding a little natural fruit juice to her water to encourage her. Some people also give pediatric electrolyte solutions to dehydrated birds.

It also could be related to her attempting to regurgitate, which is a sign of hormonal activity.

Personally, I would get her seen by an avian vet as soon as I could. It sounds like she has a lot of things going on, and I would want to rule out physical causes. Based on what you've said about her history, she may need specific dietary supplements, and a vet can give you the best guidance.