MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Parrots Freak Out Over The Darnedest Things

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

I've had a fish tank in the bird room for MONTHS. I clean it weekly, or more often if it seems to need it. Recently I added a second tank (because bettas live in these two tanks and they can't live together) and the only place to put it was on the birds' side of the room. The first tank is on the washer and dryer's side of the room. I cleaned the tanks tonight, and started with the one on the birds' side. They've seen the plastic aquarium gravel vacuum and the bucket many, many times but when I carried it over there they all went berserk and started squawking and flying laps. I put a new plastic plant in that tank and they flew laps when they saw THAT. Weirdos.

#2 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:54 AM

I haven't found anything yet that Peppy is particularly sensitive to, but my CAG is certain that metal measuring tapes are fearsome predators out to get her. I can't have one anywhere near her. I could not have a pencil or a Kleenex-type tissue around my lovebird. He would also attack any bandaid he saw. I'm sure if they could explain themselves we'd see there was a perfectly logical reason. :)

#3 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

LOL That's hilarious, Siobhan! :)

#4 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

The TAG I used to have thought the broom was his mortal enemy. He growled at it for 20 years :)

#5 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

Happy does her alarm scream/growl when we bring out the vacuum cleaner or any tool (hammer, screwdriver, etc.) No idea why.

#6 Seraffa

Seraffa

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

Oh wow.

#7 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

When Mr P sees and hears the vacuum, he starts to talk. Then he gets angry with me cause I can't hear what he is saying (over the noise of the vacuum) and repeat it back to him

#8 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

Funny about the vacuum. Peppy is afraid of it, or at least objects strenuously to it. My CAG, though, is stimulated to bathe when I run it. That's not uncommon, and I've always wondered about that.

#9 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

I had a blue front amazon who tried to bath in his water dish when I ran the vacuum. Now THAT was a sight to see!

#10 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Jade is terrified of scissors. Not just doesn't like them or objects to them. Terrified. Occasionally I have to use scissors in their room, to open new bags of food or, in the case of the aquarium plant, to trim it to fit the tank (I should've bought "medium" instead of "large"!). I take scissors in their room concealed against my leg and hide her view of me using them with my body. I don't know why she's so afraid -- I suspect traumatic wing clipping or something before she came to us -- but I don't want to bring up bad memories. Nobody likes the sweeper or the vacuum, though they've reconciled themselves to the broom and the mop. Maybe they'll get used to tank cleaning eventually. Maggie isn't bothered by it and sat on my shoulder woo-wooing into my hair while I was doing it, but all six parrots were having ballistic meltdowns. Funny, Ringo isn't bothered by things, either, even vacuums. In the winter, I have rugs in her room and the parrots' room to keep them warmer but I take them out in summer, and when there are rugs in a room with birds, you HAVE to vacuum or sweep or something almost every day. I wonder if the reason Ringo and Maggie take these things in stride more than the parrots is because they're not parrots. 

#11 Fig

Fig

Adv Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Skye freaks out when he sees the broom, but he's cool with the vacuum cleaner. Odd. I guess the broom looks scary.

What kind of birds are Ringo and Maggie?   I thought they were parrots....or am I being dim here?

Edited by Fig, 03 July 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#12 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

Maggie is a pigeon and Ringo is a starling. Maggie lives with the parrots but Ringo lives in a different room. I tried having her with the parrots when she first moved in, but that lasted, literally, only a few minutes. I could see immediately that somebody was going to get badly hurt. Maggie is so big that she intimidates the parrots and she's not a bit afraid to bully them and push them around to get her own way, and nobody wants to mix it up with her, but Ringo is about the same size as the tiels and wouldn't have a chance against the hookbills with her little beak. Ringo's only roommate is my leopard gecko and I don't let them interact, either. Ringo has to go into her cage when Rex wants out to play -- which is very seldom -- and while she likes to sit in front of his tank and stare at him, and occasionally steals one of his meal worms when I'm fixing his supper, that's all the interaction they have. Starlings are pretty solitary except during breeding season, so she's fine with living away from the others. She can hear them through the windows and their rooms share a wall, so she has learned to do some of the same sounds and phrases they do. It's pretty funny to hear her doing perfect impersonations of Quaker squawks and budgie trills. She's got Jade's Daily Squawk Fit sound down pat. 

#13 Dwiggy

Dwiggy

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hmm, what is Zipper afraid of?

Measuring tapes, baseball bat, brooms, mops, vacuum, cars that drive by on the street outside, the glow from my playstation controller, and anything new you try to put in his cage.

He thinks the world is out to get him!

#14 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Ralph seems to be over his aversion to cardboard boxes-- I think he hated them because of the miserable little one they gave me to bring him home from the pet store. But he still sounds the Quaker alarm when anything bright orange is around. ohmy.png He doesn't like the flashing yellow light on the county Water Department  truck when they come around to read the water meters, or the green tractor that's used for plowing snow during the winter at the apartment complex. Most recently, he objected to the fingernail clipper I used to cut off a hangnail. Maybe he was upset because hangnails are usually his responsibility. biggrin.png

• easttex likes this

#15 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

LOL. I'll bet you're right. Clyde has had an obsession with my eyebrows for weeks now. I can't for the life of me figure out what's so bad about them, but he wants to preen them constantly and he keeps trying to pry off a scar on my left one that I got as a teenager when I fainted and my glasses gouged me. I can't convince him that the scar is not coming off.

#16 Fig

Fig

Adv Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

Oh they're something.  Nicky, the cockatiel, (may he rest in peace) used to groom one of my eyebrows....so much, that I would go around with half an eyebrow most of the time!

#17 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

Gypsie and tango hate anything red as well as the push mower, whippersnapper, blower, broom, mop, my husband, brothers and any stranger... Lol

Edited by Gypsie&Tango, 04 July 2014 - 05:01 PM.