MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Pauly Is Male: I Got A "flasher" On My Hands :)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Seraffa

Seraffa

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

Well....last night after displaying more mating/aggressive behavior, I got the flash from "behind". Glad no extra mess was excreted! Now I know why there is occasional singing.

Would you all please comment on your male birds' normal behavior when hormones are up? 

#2 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Mr P is 3. This is the first year I have him, I adopted him in January. As far as I know, we went through a springtime hormonal period in which he was moody and bit me a lot, but I never saw any other signs of mating behavior. He is DNA sexed so I know for sure he is male.

At what age does this kind of behavior start?

#3 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

Let me see - biting, screaming, sulking, dancing (this is part of the ritual) and mating with happy hut and attempting to mate with my hand.  Yep, that about covers it. 

#4 Seraffa

Seraffa

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

Wow And here spring is over and summer has begun. Are there more than one 1 mating season per year? This sunlight must have a strong effect on Pauly, age 10.

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Mating, or trying to, with my hand. Getting all sweet and snuggly and then suddenly having a temper fit and chomping. Flying at me and attacking the back of my neck and beating me with his wings. Wanting to sit on me constantly but chomping me so much and so hard that I don't want him sitting on me. And leaving visible evidence that he's a boy after one session of trying to mate with my hand, which removed any doubt I might have as to his sex. We guessed boy but we weren't sure until that day. 

#6 Seraffa

Seraffa

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

I find it a great help and pretty good fun reading these and comparing stories. The latest ive seen pauly morph into is a more gentle "bobblehead".....bobs to say thanks or us happy, bobs for more attention...and does a funny little dance once a day. He does a set of special squawks,turns hus head and grabs his left ankle (it can only be the left!)to let out a loud PEEP! Then preens the bare ankle, then repeats the ritual many times over till he"s too tired to peep,lol.