MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Blood Found On Feathers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stendeck's Mum

Stendeck's Mum

Heidi

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

I found tonight stendeck had blood stained feathers on he's shoulder/where wing meets body at the top. He has lots of quills some dark stumpy ones could he gave wrenched one out. There is a wound/whole it is not bleeding now and he has allowed me to look at it and he isn't picking at it.
What should I do next apart from keep checking it.
I have never had anything bleed frim him before it scared me dizzy.

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

It sounds like Stendeck may have pulled out a feather-- either an old one or a new one. If the wound looks bad, a vet visit would be a good idea. If Stendeck likes to be misted, spray him often to help soften the sheaths on the new feathers, or try to encourage him to take more baths.

#3 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:52 AM

Yep, sounds like he has pulled out a feather.  Do as Gary says and keep an eye on it.  The only time I see blood on Shah's feathers is after he has attacked me - it is always my blood angry.png

#4 Stendeck's Mum

Stendeck's Mum

Heidi

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:19 AM

Thanks for the replies. It looks so much better last night no hole just a lot of stained feathers. I was shocked as in 9 years he never has pulled one and I have read so often on here about it in the days when he was fresh . admittedly I have neglected bath time and preening time with him and he has a spiky head because the bloody kids had parties and sports days and now I feel bad because stendeck is my first born and it was his hatchday and whats worse we left him all day to go to the zoo! lol

#5 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

Occasionally Happy breaks a blood feather and it bleeds a bit before she yanks it. It's always startling!