MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New Quaker And New Owner

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sarahw1984

Sarahw1984

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

Hi all

So I am new to the world of Quakers. I bought a blue one on Monday, they lady said it was around 6 months old. Its not had a lot of handling and is really timmid. I have called it Blue.

On the Monday I managed to get Blue to step up. Tuesday made the stupid mistake of trying to let him out of his cage. He instantly flew around the living room squaking at me like crazy. I managed to catch him but decided on Wednesday to clip his wings because I'm scared he'll hurt himself. I know some don't agree but I want him to get used to me, not me spending half my time trying to catch him.

Hes been getting better but would still prefer to hop off me and get on top of my dogs cage in the corner of the room.

Hes very quiet, and just sits still in his cage. Will he get more confident? I talk to him all the time and handle him in small doses.

Thanks

Sarah W x

Attached Files

• Bettyboop likes this

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

Welcome to the Forum! smile.png I suspect that Blue needs more time to get used to his new home and to get to know you better. It can take weeks, or even months, for a parrot to completely settle in and adjust to everything new that surrounds him. Be patient and take things slowly. Talking to Blue a lot is a good thing to do-- just sit near his cage and talk to him, read to him and sing to him too if you'd like. That's a good way to help him get accustomed to you and the sound of your voice. Offer him treats now and then too. As Blue gets more comfortable being with you, he'll probably become more cooperative outside his cage and will want to stay with you rather than flying off.

#3 Sarahw1984

Sarahw1984

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Ah thanks for that

Once he settles on me he'll sit for a few minutes and then he get aggiated and heads off to my dogs cage again.

Whenever I hear him make a sound I talk to him, just to try and encourage him