MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Homemade Nutriberries Alternatives!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:13 AM

sooooooo finding nutriberries or anything similar seems difficult in Australia so I simply decided to make them! with a couple of hours, some organic ingredients and a melon baller we now have about 150 treat balls very similar to nutiberries :-) 

the ingredients I used were slightly different as i added chia, organic honey, peanut butter, organic seed and nut spread, figs and a couple of other things added from my parrots favorite foods list 

Ingredients

• 1 cup dried fruit (No sugar added!) Rasins, mango, papaya, apples, apricots, bananas, cranberries, blueberries, cherries and dates (or any combination of these) are classic favorites!
  • 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • Pellets (Your parrot’s favorite daily pellets) This adds extra vitamins essential to your bird’s diet. I use ZuPreem Natural Premium Daily Bird Food in Phineas’ treats.
  • 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds (Not salted!)
  • 1/2 cup crushed/slivered nuts (Not salted!) Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, pecans and hazelnuts are always popular!
  • 1/3 cup flax seeds
  • 1/3 cup quinoa
  • 1/3 cup hulled millet
  • 1/4 cup flaked coconut (Not sweetened!)
  • 3 tbsp sweetener (honey, molasses or agave nectar) For a healthier, less sweet treat, use 2 tbsp of applesauce and 1 tbsp of sweetener instead.

*Optional: 1/4 cup each of shelled sunflower seeds (Not salted!) and sesame seeds can also be added. If you add these, up to an extra tablespoon of sweetener will be needed.

*Peanuts are a controversial part of a parrot’s diet due to a dangerous fungus called “Aspergillus” which can grow in their shells (Learn more at Parrot Parrot). However, if you choose to use them, the safest option is to select unshelled, unsalted, human-grade peanuts (from the grocery store - not the pet store).

Directions

Grind or puree (depending on bird size) the dried fruit, rolled oats, pellets, pumpkin seeds and nuts in a blender or food processor. Mix thoroughly with all remaining ingredients. If mixture does not pack together easily, it may be necessary to stir in an additional drizzle of sweetener.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat hands in a thin layer of olive oil or coconut oil (or another bird-safe oil) and form mixture into tightly packed 1/2 to 1 inch balls. Place on a baking sheet that is either lightly greased or covered in parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.

Allow the treats to cool completely before removing them from the baking sheet. They harden as they cool and will fall apart if moved while they are still warm! Store in an airtight container.Attached File  treats 2.jpg   122.02KB   0 downloadsAttached File  treats 3.jpg   112.72KB   0 downloadsAttached File  treats.jpg   103.02KB   0 downloads

#2 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:52 AM

Sounds delicious! I'm not entirely sure my birds would get all of them if I made a batch. :)

#3 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:35 AM

They do smell delicious but with the pellets in them I was not sure I really wanted to chow down on them!!