MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Major Cage Renovations - How Often Do You Do It?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:34 PM

Hi all,
Just wondering how often is a good frequency to change around the lord and lady's cage. . I have been doing I twice a year (just before each uni semester starts) where I take everything out and put everything in different places, replace old and worn out things and generally make a new and interesting design for them... Is this often enough do you think? They get their toys changed every week with new and old swapped in and out and have to forage for all their food... I am pretty happy with how it works but they get bored so easily!!! Let me know how you renovate!!
Laura, gypsie and tango

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

I get rid of things that are broken or worn out and occasionally swap perches around but the only major cage renovation I've done is I emptied Jade's cage and replaced a lot of her stuff a couple of years ago because everything was worn out and she'd finally gotten to the point where she'd let me do this project. It took a long, long time because she was bossing the job and I had to keep distracting her so I could take stuff out. She's cage aggressive. She liked all her new things a lot, though, so it worked out. Clyde doesn't care what I do to his cage and spends very little time in it when he's not sleeping, so his stuff doesn't need replaced very often. I tried rearranging Greta the tiel's cage but she was so unhappy and afraid of the new things that I had to put most of it back the way it had been. She's a nervous bird and change doesn't suit her at all. Freddie won't allow changes to his cage and even objects to cleaning, so except for removing worn out things, I let his be. My starling Ringo is the only one who's interested in new things, and will "help" me rearrange her cage and plays with new toys without having to observe them for a week first to make sure they won't eat her. LOL I change her cage around a lot just because she seems to enjoy that, though I leave her sleeping perch and food dishes in the same place all the time. 

#3 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

Wow. We change the cage around once a week when it gets cleaned. I normally leave the food dishes and some of the perches. Other perches get moved and all the toys come out and get rotated. Sometimes I put the same toys back but in different places.

I have started making my own toys so Mr P has a pretty decent rotation. Sometimes I take the toys from his playstand and put them in his cage and visa versa. For some reason, the toys are different to him when they are in different places.

Anyway, yeah, once a week we do a major cage re-arrange.

#4 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

I change around some of Ralph's toys every two weeks or so; everything else must stay exactly where it's always been. biggrin.png Ralph doesn't like having the perches or his ladder anywhere other than where they are. I do alternate between two toenail grooming perches-- a rougher one for when his toenails get a bit too sharp (prolonged use could cause sore feet, so it doesn't stay in place too long), and the smoother one that's one of his favorite perches.