MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Need Advice With New Bird.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shirley55

shirley55

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:43 AM

I was recently given A Quaker parrot from A friend of my husbands, who`s father bought in Miami and could not keep it and care for it.

I know nothing about the bird, age , gender, or even name. So it has been two weeks, I have got him toys and bigger food and water dishes, and named it Kiwi, witch I think will work for male or female.

My bird is very afraid of everything, I sit quite awhile with it and talk to it as nicely as I can every day . It will not take treats or fruit or veggies or anything from me or my husband. So what should I do? Should I just take it out of it`s cage without giving treats, or wait till it is more friendly? It gets scared when I clean it`s cage and freshen food and water and I really hate getting it scared , but I have to clean it everyday, and I do it at the same time to get it used to A schedule, I really don`t know what to do. I want whatever is best for my little Kiwi, so what am I to do?

thanks in advance for all advise

#2 CaptainNapalm

CaptainNapalm

Adv Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

Keep doing what you're doing and let the bird get used to its surroundings.  When you're around, leave the cage door wide open to give him/her opportunity to leave at its own discretion but don't force it out of the cage.  I suspect it will just be a matter of time before the little guy gets used to your family and starts being himself/herself.